Meet Oliver

When we found out we were pregnant with our second baby, we were over the moon with excitement. Things were smooth sailing until 9 weeks. I began cramping and bleeding heavily, I assumed we had lost the baby. We went into emerg (it was late at night and I was in a lot of pain) They did an ultrasound and were surprised to find the tiny heartbeat still thumping along. However, near our baby, they also found a peri gestational hemorrhage, which could cause a loss of pregnancy fairly quickly. We were sent home and over the next 7 weeks we were back in emerg five times for heavy bleeding. At 17 weeks, things calmed down. The hemorrhage was still there, but had stopped growing. I returned back to work, and we began thinking we had made it through the worst of it. At 20 weeks we found out we were having a boy, however, we also tested positive for neural tube defects. We had a few follow up ultrasounds, during which they discovered I had partial placenta previa, as well as an odd shaped and thick walled placenta — they continued monitoring to make sure the placenta was functional.

At 28 weeks I was feeling great! My morning sickness was passing and my energy level was high. I had been experiencing very painful Braxton hicks for a few weeks, but other than that I was great. The night I was 28 weeks 1 day, the Braxton hicks were so painful I could barely move and I began bleeding lightly. We went into labor and delivery to get checked out . They monitored me for a bit but sent us home with strict instructions to come back if anything changed. At 4am I felt a small gush. Back we went, but this time we were admitted.

The next day was filled with tests and ultrasounds. I remember thinking that everything was fine and they would be sending us home soon. The doctor came into my room, shut the door and sat by my bed. He then explained that my water had broken, and I had placental abruption. I wouldn’t be going home pregnant. He said he had seen people in similar situations go until 33-34 weeks, but he couldn’t see me making it another week and predicted I would be delivering within 24 hours. I was terrified.. it was too soon.. why was this happening? What did I do wrong?

The next few days were a blur. I was having heavy bleeds and a lot of pain, but baby boy was still holding on so they wanted to keep him in as long as possible.

On April 20, 2017, I was taking a stroll around the antepartum unit with my mom when I started to feel dizzy. She took me to my room and called the nurse. It was time. At 29 weeks + 1 day, this boy was coming.

Before the c section, we were told not to be alarmed if he didn’t cry and that he would be very very small. I remember listening to the Doctors and nurses – they were very serious and very quiet. Suddenly I heard someone yell “DROP THE SHEET” (I had requested this so I could watch his delivery). He was here… kicking and screaming!!! At 3 lbs 5 oz he made his amazing appearance into the world.

We were VERY LUCKY. His neural tube defects were a false positive and he was as healthy as he could have been. Our NICU stay was a blur – full of highs and lows. The staff there are truly angels. They celebrated every small step with us and comforted us at every set back. It felt like our second home, and they were our family. Finally, after 42 days, we were able to bring our precious Oliver home. He is now 2 years old, and as sweet as can be we are so grateful to the NICU and antepartum staff at RUH for taking such great care of our family – they are truly amazing.


Meet Oliver
Join our mailing list
Copyright © 2020 BloomNICU... An Evening of Love / NICU Annual Fundraiser